At my school, the first week back is called “WinTerm”. It is a week where all of the students get to take different classes. We have all day and half day classes, and some students even go on trips for the week.
I decided to teach a half day class on blogging. I created a blog for my students on how to blog with daily instructions. It has been such a fun week! My students have done an excellent job – and even ran through everything I wanted to teach them by Wednesday! So Thursday I had them read and comment on each other’s blogs. Today I am going to teach them how to REALLY use Twitter. Teenagers seem to use hashtags pretty randomly or mainly for sarcasm. I also introduced them to Code.org so they could understand the coding behind the blogs.
About mid-week we decided to do a group blog called “Study Songs” where songs and mnemonics are posted to help them study for school topics. We put a form on there so anyone reading the blog could submit their favorite mnemonic. Share it with your students so they can contribute too!
You could do blogging with a middle school class as well, probably beginning in 7th grade. I taught one of my 7th grade students how to blog last year because she had a great idea that needed to be shared! I have included her blog as well.
I was pleasantly surprised at how fast they went through the material I wanted to teach them this week. And I really love reading their blogs! I am learning about fitness, fashion, books I need to read, movies I need to watch, and food! I have included their blogs below so you can also see what students are capable of!
Check out our blogs!
- Sara, Bloglet of Fire, My blog is about books, films, and various parts of nerd culture, and my opinions on everything.
- Emily, Culture Shock, Going from being a senior in Charlotte to a freshman in Chicago and all of the advice gleaned and mistakes made along the way
- Claudia, in a nutshell, My blog is about food allergies
- Kate, The Crunch Chronicles, My blog is about my experiences making healthy recipes, or just recipes I like in general
- Andrea, PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE, equality of races and transgenders
- Ellen , Elle Tells All, My blog is about fashion, beauty, and lifestyle.
- Rose, Everything Is Coming Up Roses, Fashion & Lifestyle.
- Mackenzie, Top Trendz, trending lifestyle blog
- Philip, Life Of A Boy Wonder, Funny short stories about my life and past, life advice. Movie/ Game review.
- Terry, supernchester, Supernatural
- Alex, Basketball All Around, Whats going on throughout the basketball world.
- Hailey, Health and Fitness, celebrity lives but i think it may change
- Myranda, Queen City Style, Lifestyle
- Group, Study Songs, Songs and Mnemonics for school topics.
7th Grade Blog (8th now)
- Leila, Only at Woodlawn, This blog is written by the class of 2019 about all of the wonderful things that ONLY happen at Woodlawn!