I plan on grouping often, if not daily. My needs are…
- Be able to switch up the groups easily and quickly
- Have students get into groups quickly.
- Designate group roles such as leader and recorder easily.
- Did I mention quickly ???
One more caveat – I will probably be switching rooms for each class so I will need something portable.
I would like to do these things with a minimum of talk. More talk = more confusion = more wasted time. After visiting my son’s kindergarten class last year I got an great idea! His teacher had clothespins with their names written on them in sharpie and she “clipped” them to the weekly job chart. I want to do something similar with groups. I plan on using magnets however.
MAGNETS for GROUPING Idea:
- Purchase magnetic board
- Divide the board into colors (using construction paper maybe)?
- Purchase something small and put all kids names on each one. (like writing their names on clothespins)
- Attach a magnet to the back of each thing (clothespin)
- Before class put the clothespin on the board corresponding to which group they will be in.
- Place a “flag” on the table to indicate which color group goes where
- Designate group rolls – Write on the board group roles like “leader” and “recorder” and put their clip in that spot.
I am thinking I could then switch it up, like add more colors for more groups and such but just adding more colored paper on the board. This is only in the planning stages. Once I design it I will post a pic.
If you’ve got them, ideas would be LOVELY before I start actually purchasing materials.